Heath Benefits of Cranberries – Cranberry juice has many benefits for health. The health benefits of this fruit include help from urinary tract infections, respiratory disorders, cancer, heart disease and kidney stones. Cranberry juice also can prevent stomach disorders and diabetes, and also gum diseases caused by dental plaque. Content of phytonutrients, that are naturally derived plant compounds, contained in cranberries can prevent a wide range of health problems. Cranberries have a tremendous amount of antioxidants as compared to other fruits and vegetables such as broccoli, apples and spinach. One cup of cranberries contains a total 8983 antioxidant capacity.
Nutritional Value of Cranberry
Cranberry juice is rich in antioxidants, salicylic acid and vitamin C. cranberry Juice contains only 45 calories per Cup, thus make it very well and fits within your dietary guidelines. Cranberry juice also contains 87.13 g water per 100 g, and it also provides the protein, energy and carbohydrates. Cranberry is rich in minerals such as calcium, sodium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous and zinc. Cranberry is also rich in vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6, E (alpha tocopherol) and vitamin K (phylloquinone). Cranberry is native to North America and included in the Ericaceae family members.
Cranberry Health Benefits
This fruit has long been used to cure various diseases of the human body. Here are some of health benefits of cranberry juice:
Antitumor Effects: Content of polyphenols compounds in cranberry juice fruit useful as antitumor effects. Studies has shown that regular consumption of cranberry juice inhibits the development and spread of lung, colon, breast, prostate and other cancerous tumors. cranberry juice contains a high amount of salicylic acid that can help reduce swelling, remove the tumor and prevent blood clots.
Preventing Cancer: cranberry contains proanthocyanidins that can inhibit the growth of various cancer cells. The studies have suggested that diets rich in flavonoids play a fundamental role in relieving the risk of cancer and cancer mortality. It also contains anti-carcinogenic components which interfere with the growth of cancer cells, particularly related to prostate and colon cancer. According to studies, proanthocyanidins can stop micro-turmor from developing in the blood vessels. Regular consumption of cranberry juice can prevent the rapid growth of the tumor. And the chemicals in cranberry juice also prevent multiplication of breast cancer cells.
Strengthening Bones and Teeth: cranberry Juice is a natural source of calcium that can reduce the risk of osteoporosis and also strengthen your teeth.
Good for obesity:cranberry rich in organic acids, that have an emulsifying effect on the fat deposits in the body. Cranberry juice is very good for people who want to shed the extra kilos.
Prevent kidney stones: a high amount of acid components in cranberry juice may prevent the formation of kidney stones.
Lung Inflammation: Cranberry juice has anti-inflammatory effects, that is proven effective to fight the inflammation caused in the lungs by the influenza virus. The content of substances called nondialyzable materials or NDM in cranberries can prevent the influenza virus from sticking to the cells thus preventing infection with the flu.
Anti Aging Benefits: The USDA scientists at the human Research Center found that the wealth of phytonutrients and antioxidants present in cranberries play a vital role in providing protection to fight against problems that develop with age like memory loss and lack of coordination. Cranberries also have a multitude of therapeutic properties that protect cells from damage caused by unstable molecules or called free radicals which contribute aging of the skin, thereby making your skin look younger.
Avoid Respiratory Infections: Cranberry juice can prevent respiratory infections. According to studies, cranberry juice can helps to inhibit certain strains of the Haemophilus influenza, that is a common cause of ear and respiratory disorders in children. Cranberry juice also inhibit the bacteria hair like structures, inhibiting them from adhering to the surface of the skin.
Cardiovascular Health: Cranberry juice may help lower the risk of heart related ailments and help in maintaining the health of your heart. The content of flavonoids in cranberries has antioxidant properties and can also reduce the threat of atherosclerosis (a disease in which the arteries are narrowed that is caused because of the build-up of fat, calcium and cholesterol found in the blood).This inhibits the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the various parts of the body and can lead to potentially fatal outcomes such as strokes and heart attacks. Flavonoids may delay and suppress the oxidation low density lipoprotein (LDL) and profitable stimulates blood transfusions.
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI): UTI refers to the existence of certain microorganisms in the urine that exceed normal levels. This infection can develop in the bladder and cause cystitis, while in the kidney causes renal parenchyma or in the prostate resulting in bacterial prostatis. Studies found that the cranberry juice contains proanthocyanidins which posses anti-clinging properties, that can prevent the bacteria from binding itself to cells of the bladder wall. These compounds that will prevent bacteria from multiplying and further, and will also flush them out of the body through urination. The research also shows that drinking cranberry juice regularly may help prevent recurring UTIs in middle-aged women and pregnant women. Cranberry juice can also be helpful in preventing pediatric urinary tract infections. But cranberry juice not effective in treating UTIs after you have an infection, and only a preventative measure.
a study published in February 2016 in the American Journal of obstetrics and Gynecology reported that while the cranberry capsules has been shown to help urinary tract infections, however cranberry juice is much more effective. The reason for this is that it takes an extremely huge concentration of cranberry to prevent bacterial adhesion, and the amount of concentration is not found in the juices we drink.
Prevent Tooth Decay: according to the new research suggests that cranberry juice can prevents tooth cavities, it is because of the presence of chemical compounds in cranberries called proanthocyanidine may inhibit the harmful bacteria from clinging to your teeth. These components may inhibit acid production and protect the teeth from periodontal disease with preventing the growth of plaque in your teeth.
Cures Cold: fresh cranberry juice is very effective in fighting against infections and also cures sore throats and colds.
Peptic Ulcer: peptic ulcers are caused by a type of bacteria Helicobacter pylori or H.pylori. These bacteria attack the protective layer of the stomach and duodenum, that is the first part of the intestine, and then this may lead to further inflammation of the stomach lining. The foods rich in flavonoids, a category that includes anthocyanins, proanthocyanidins and flavonols, which are contained in fruit such as cranberries, garlic and apples can help reduce the risk of stomach disorders and also stomach ulcers by inhibiting the growth of H. pylori bacteria. The investigative study conducted on groups of patients have that type of stomach disorders showed a 50% advantages over patients who do not consume cranberry juice. And doctors commonly advise the regular intake cranberry juice for suppress the infection.
Scurvy: Deficiency of vitamin C can lead to scurvy, and the cranberries provide high levels of vitamin C, that is also vital for the body to make collagen, which is the main component behind the healthy functioning of tissues.
Food: cranberry fruit extracts is used in the manufacture of a variety of sauce and cranberry juice cocktail. About 1 liter of juice can be extracted from 1500 grams of fresh cranberries. And cranberry juice cocktails are about 30% pure cranberry juice mixed with artificial sweetener or fructose. While dried Cranberries can be enjoyed with breakfast cereals or can also be added to muffins, depending on your taste.
- Cranberries and cranberry juice has many benefits for your health, but it also contains some exception listed below:
- Walfarin (Coumadin): this is an anticoagulant drug that is used as a blood thinner, and it lowers the likelihood of blood clots that occur in your body. These blood clots can lead to serious conditions such as cardiovascular disorders or clots in the legs, lungs and other parts of the cardiovascular system. There are indications that those who take warfarin must be careful regarding the intake of cranberries, this is because they are at high risk of bleeding.
- Aspirin allergy: cranberries contains large amounts of salicylic acid, that is also present in aspirin. Those who need blood thinners and are prescribed aspirin must avoid consuming too much cranberries. And intake of cranberries should also be restricted if you are allergic to aspirin.
- Kidney stones: cranberry extract contain a significant concentrations of calcium and oxalate. They amplifies the chances of developing calcium-oxalate stones and uric acid stones at certain people. Please note, if you have kidney stones or have a history of kidney stones you should consult a medical professional before your consuming cranberry supplements or large amounts of cranberry juice. Research suggests that cranberry juice may increase levels of oxalate in the urine up to 43%.
- Cranberry extract has been used to deodorize urine in some people who have complications in the control of their urination, or also known as urinary incontinence. The extracts of this fruit can prevent the urinary catheter from blocking and speed up the healing process membrane around the stomach.
- Unsweetened cranberry juice tastes slightly sour, but it’s very good for medicinal purposes, and 2 ounces of cranberry juice diluted in 8 ounces of water is highly recommended. Eating unsweetened cranberry juice is very good for the overall health. Cranberry juice strengthen the immune system and also help to relieve stress. Cranberries can also work well for skin conditions such as acne. This fruit can be consumed fresh, dried or frozen.
Tips for Enjoying Cranberries
For the purpose of treatment is the best way to enjoy a cranberry is unsweetened cranberry juice. You can also enjoy the dried cranberries or in a can, but watch out for added sugar. Be sure to check the ingredients label and also make sure that products containing cranberries only. And if you choose to drink cranberry juice you can mixed with other fruits and added sweeteners.
Here are several options to enjoy a cranberries:
- Make homemade trail mix with seeds, unsalted nuts and dried cranberries
- Including a small handful of frozen cranberries in your fruit smoothie
- Add dried cranberries to your whole grain cereal or oatmeal
- Include fresh cranberries in an apple dessert like pie or cobbler for an extra kick of flavor.
- Toss dried or fresh cranberries into your favorite muffin or cookie recipe
source : https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-cranberry-juice.html
image source : http://www.pixabay.com