11 Fastest Home Remedies for Headaches
Home Remedies for Headaches- Headaches are the common health problem that can occur by everyone. This condition can very painful and may inhibit your daily activity. Headaches can be easily treated by using some simple home remedies. You can simply find all the ingredients in yout kitchen to help heal headaches fast. Continue read this article.
What is a Headache?
Headache is the pain or the discomfort, that arises in area of the head or upper neck. This condition can occur by everyone, like children, adults and aged persons. Headache Although, the brain doesn’t have nerves that originate the pain, but the swelling in the periosteum or a membrane that surrounds the brain’s surface, veins, nerves, spinal cord, arteries, ears, eyes and sinuses, causes the pain in the head. Headaches can occur ranging from a mild, throbbing, constant intense or sharp.
What Causes Headaches
Headaches can be caused by several factors, mainly it related to an unhealthy lifestyle or excessive activity. Here are some of the common factors that causes headaches:
- Physiological changes in head
- Long time exposure to sun
- Skipped meals
- Poor body posture
- Lack of sleep
- Alcohol intake, especially red wine
- Change of seasons
- Lack of a nutritious diet
- Hormonal changes
- Certain fragrances or smell
- The lack of water in the body
When you suffer from headaches, you will experience some common symptoms such as :
- Throbbing sensation
- Dull Ache affecting entire head
- Migraines begin with a mild to moderate pain, and then turn severe
- Pain during sleep, that lasts for at least 90 minutes
- Vomiting or nausea
- Sensitivity to sound and light
- Loss of appetite
- Fever and dizziness
- Nasal congestion
- Constant pain in the forehead, cheekbones and the bridge of the nose
- Unclear vision and fatigue.
Most people when they suffer from headaches, generally they will be taking over-the-counter medicines or prescription painkillers for fast relief from headaches. However, this remedy is not always effective, this can smothering your symptoms and ignoring the real problems of what triggers your headache. Instead, you can use home remedies that are also very effective to treat headaches fast. This remedy is simple and use all natural ingredients that are available in your home. Plus, because it uses all natural ingredients, this will not cause any side effects on your body.
Here are some of easiest home remedies for headache that have been proven effective to provide fast relief from your headache:
Ginger is one of the very effective home remedy to help reduce headaches fast. It can help reduce inflammation of the blood vessels in your head, thus providing relief from headaches and also reduce the discomfort.
- You can simply inhale vapours of ginger to help reduce your headache.
- Boil the ginger powder or raw ginger in water and then inhale the vapor to feel calmness.
- Alternatively, you can apply a paste of one teaspoon of dry ginger powder and two tablespoons of water. Stir it and then apply this paste directly on your forehead for a few minutes.
- You can also mix equal parts of ginger juice and lemon juice. Then consume it once to twice a day.
- If you prefer, you can also chew one to two pieces of crystallized ginger candy.
2. Mint Juice
Mint juice is very effective in treating headaches because it contains menthone and menthol. This can help reducing the pain in your head. Mint is helpful especially if you suffer migraine headache.
- Extract mint juice from a handful of mint leaves and then apply it on forehead and temples to treat your headache.
- Alternatively, you can also place mint tea compresses on your forehead to help reduce discomfort.
- You can also use coriander juice to help get rid of the headache.
3. Ice Packs
This is a simple remedy but also very effective to help reduce headache. The cold from ice will help reduce inflammation that contributes to headaches. Also, it has a numbing effect on the pain.
- You can apply an ice pack to the back of your neck to help provide relief from migraine headaches.
- For headaches, you can place a washcloth dipped into ice-cold water over your head for about 5 minutes. You can repeat this process several times until the pain decreases.
4. Lavender Oil
The soothing scent of lavender oil is very effective to reduce tension headaches. It helps in opening and closing the vessels in the head, which speed up the blood flow, which in turn will help reduce headaches.
- You can put a few drops of lavender essential oil on a tissue and then inhale it.
- You can also add two drops of lavender oil to two cups of boiling water and then inhale the vapors.
- Alternatively, mix two to three drops of lavender essential oil in one tablespoon of carrier oil such as olive oil or almond oil, and then massage your forehead with oil mixture.
Note: don’t take the lavender oil orally.
5. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil contains menthol which can help open up clogged blood vessels that cause headaches. Also, this oil has a calming and soothing effect.
- Mix three drops of peppermint essential oil in a tablespoon of olive oil, almond oil or just water.
- Then massage your forehead and temples with this oil.
- You can also simply put crushed fresh peppermint leaves on your forehead to help reduce headaches.
- Alternatively, you can add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to a small pot of boiling water. Then inhale the steam for a few minutes.
Basil is very effective for treating headache because it works as a muscle relaxant, so it is very helpful treatment for mild headache caused by tense muscles. Also, it has calming and analgesic effects.
- You can put three to four fresh basil leaves in a cup of boiling water and let it simmer for a few minutes. You can also add a little honey for taste and then sip the tea slowly.
- Alternatively, boil one tablespoon of basil leaves or a few drops of basil oil to a pot of boiling water and then inhale the vapors.
- You can also chew some fresh basil leaves or massage your forehead with basil oil mixed with a base oil.
Cloves can also be one of the home remedies to help cure a headache. This can help to ease tension headaches since it has pain-relieving and cooling properties.
- You can crush a few cloves gently and then put them in a sachet or a clean handkerchief.
- Now inhale the smell of the crushed cloves to get relief from headache.
- Alternatively, mix together two teaspoons of coconut oil, a teaspoon of sea salt and two drops of clove oil. Then rub this mixture oil gently on your forehead for relief from headaches.
The rosmarinic acid content in the rosemary has soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that effective to help cure a headache.
- Simply massage your temples and forehead with a few drops of rosemary oil mixed with a tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Alternatively, you can also make an herbal tea by boiling one teaspoon of crushed rosemary leaves and one teaspoon of crushed sage leaves in a cup of water.
- Now, cover it while boiling and allow to steep for 10 minutes. Then let the tea cool to room temperature and drink this tea.
- You can drink this herbal tea two to three times daily to help cure a headache.
Note: Rosemary oil may not be suitable for those who suffer from epilepsy or high blood pressure.
Acupressure is one of a simple remedy to help reduce headaches. The joining of the Valley (L 14) acupressure points is considered very effective for relieving headaches.
- You can simply press and massage the fleshy area between your thumb and index finger, then at the highest spot of the muscle when both the thumb and fingers are brought close together.
- You should do this for one to two minutes and then repeat on the other hand.
Warning: Don’t press this acupressure point during pregnancy.
10. Warm Shower or Bath
Bath or shower with warm water also can help relieve headaches and also makes you more comfortable. The heat of water will lessen muscle tension, thus reducing the headache.
- During the shower or bath, let the hot water flow over the back and neck area of your body. This will make you more comfortable and reduce headaches.
- You can also soak yourself in hot water tub for some time.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar Compress
Apple Cider vinegar can also help reduce headaches. This is one of the natural remedies that have long been used to treat headaches. For those who are suffering from a throbbing headache, you can try this remedies for quick relief.
- Pour 1/4 cup of Apple Cider vinegar in a large bowl and then fill the bowl halfway with boiling water.
- Now place a towel over your head so that it drapes over the bowl, trapping the steam and then hold your face over it. However, make sure your face is not so close so as not to be burned by the steam.
- Do this for 5 to 10 minutes, Or when the water starts to cool down, breathing in and out deeply the whole time.
- Finally, when you’re done, then use the towel to pat your face dry and go drink a glass of cold water.
Tips to Prevent Headaches
You can follow some of useful tips below to help you reduce the pain of the head and also prevent headaches:
- Avoid Smoking
- Reduce your stress with yoga, or other
- Practise aerobic activities, such as biking, walking and swimming
- Get plenty of sleep
- Avoid intake of nitrites and nitrates
- Avoid dairy products, caffeine, chocolates and red wine
- Avoid strain on your eyes
- Eat the right food
- Stay hydrated
- Stay calm and positive
- Practise some acupressure massage to reduce your headache
- Moderate alcohol consumption
- Dry eyes causes headache, then use soothing eye drops
- Avoid artificial sweeteners and pickles
That’s some simple and most effective home remedies for headaches. When you suffer from headache in the next time, you can try these natural remedies for quick relief. However, if you have frequent and severe headaches, then immediately consult your doctor. And also, don’t ignore headaches accompanied by symptoms such as loss of balance, stiff neck, mental disturbances, speech disturbances, numbness and loss of consciousness.