How to Get Rid of A Runny Nose- Are you suffer from runny nose and will find how to get rid of it fast and naturally without medicine? Runny nose is a common and annoying problem that common occur, both in children or adults. Continue read this article, you will find tips and home remedies to get rid of runny nose quickly only in a few days.
Runny nose is one of very common problem and it can annoying your daily activity. This condition occurs when there is increased mucus in your sinus and nasal passages. the increased production of mucus is the body’s way of flushing cold or flu viruses, allergens and irritants out of your body. Generally when suffering from a runny nose, you will always feel the excess fluid or thick fluid inside the nasal area. This is certainly going to make you feel uncomfortable, especially to perform your daily activity. Luckily you can easily treat and stop runny nose by following some tips and home remedies below.
What Causes A Runny Nose?
Commonly a runny nose is caused by several factors, including cold, a sinus infections, allergic reactions and sudden weather changes. This condition if not treated in a timely, then it can lead to coughing, headaches, earaches and also other problems.
Here are some of the main factors cause runny nose:
Cold or flu: when you are suffering from flu or cold, this can cause your nose to running hard. You can try some home remedies below to help cure your runny nose. However if the symptoms still linger for a certain period of time, then you should immediately visit your doctor.
Allergies: If your runny nose caused by allergies, you should take over the counter pills to help treat it.
Stress: Stress is also one of the factors that cause runny nose. When a person is always under pressure, then their immune system will be badly affected making it much more vulnerable, so it in turn can cause a runny nose.
There are many over-the-counter medicines for a runny nose that are available, however they often have side effects such as drowsiness. Many simple home remedies that are proven more effective to treat runny nose and decrease the intensity of your symptoms, without cause drowsiness and other side effects.
How to Get Rid of A Runny Nose
1. Salt Water
Salt water is the best and simple home remedy to help alleviating the irritation accompanying runny nose. This will help thin the mucus, thus more easy and comfortable to expel. Also, this will help clear the nasal passages of irritants.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of table salt in two cups of distilled warm water
- Then using a dropper, put a few drops of this salt water into each nostril with your head tilted back
- Now, inhale very gently to draw the solution further into your nasal passages. Blow your nose to remove excess mucus and solutions.
- Do this a few times at a sitting until you feel relief
- Repeat this home remedy several times a day to reduce your runny nose.
2. Take shower to stop a runny nose
This is a simple but very effective way to help stop a runny nose. Take a hot water shower to clear your nasal passage and stop the runny nose. Fill your lungs with steam with breathing in and out while having hot water shower that can help in clearing congestion on your nose.
3. Apply a warm compress
Apply the warm compress is a simple home remedy to help stop runny nose. it will help get rid of a runny nose quickly.
- Take a cloth and wet it in hot water.
- Then apply a warm wet cloth over your nose. Do not overheat the water. Heats the water as much as you can stand.
- Now, lean your head towards the pot and breathe in gently.
- You can try this simple remedy very often during the day to help stop a runny nose.
Steam can also be an effective home remedy to treat a runny nose. This may help clear out the excess mucus that causes a runny nose and sneezing.
- First, hold your face over a bowl of hot water, with a towel over your head to trap the steam.
- Then breathe in the steam for 10 minutes, and blow your nose
- Doing this treatment three to four times a day.
- If you prefer, you can also add a few drops of eucalyptus oil or menthol in the hot water before breathing in the steam.
5. Mustard oil
Mustard oil is excellent for treating runny nose because it has antibiotic, antiviral and antihistamine properties that can give instant relief from various symptoms of a runny nose.
- First, heat a small amount of mustard oil until it is slightly warm.
- Then using a dropper, put one or two drops of the oil in each nostril.
- This way can help clear up the nasal passages.
- Repeat this process two to three times a day.
Alternatively, add two to three tablespoons of mustard oil and 1 tablespoon of caraway seeds to pot of boiling water. Then inhale the steam. Strong aroma of mustard oil will help warm up the respiratory system, thus providing instant relief from runny nose. Repeat this process twice daily.
6. Eucalyptus Oil to treat a runny nose
Eucalyptus oil is one of the popular home remedies and has long been used to treat colds and flu, as well as runny nose. These oils contain anti microbial and antibacterial properties. The vapors of eucalyptus oil are considered to be an excellent decongestant because its anti inflammatory properties that can control the secretion of mucus.
- 2 to 4 drops of eucalyptus oil
- Hot water
- Fill a bowl with hot water halfway
- Then pour eucalyptus oil drops in the water
- Now, place a towel over your head
- Inhale the steam coming out if this water to help relieve congestion and runny nose.
7. Ginger to Treat A Runny Nose
Ginger is a home remedy that has long been used to help treat a runny nose. It full of antioxidants, antitoxic, antiviral and antifungal properties which can help provide fast relief from various symptoms of a runny nose.
- Chewing small prices of raw ginger sprinkled with salt several times a day to help reducing a runny nose quickly.
- Alternatively, cut the ginger root into thin slices, then put in a cup of water to boil it for some time to make a tea. Now, add a little honey for paste you drink the tea three to four times daily.
You can also boil one teaspoon of ginger powder in 2 ups of water and then inhale the steam.
Useful Tips to prevent and get rid of a runny nose fast
Here are some useful tips that you can follow to help prevent and get rid of a runny nose fast:
- Stay warm while doing all of these procedures : Staying warm is one of the important factors to get rid of a runny nose, especially in the winter. If you get the cold, runny nose will only get worse. Make sure that your body always warm to prevent the symptoms and your condition is getting worse.
- Plenty of rest and lots of sleep: Plenty of rest and lots of sleep can help treat not only runny noses but also all illnesses. Lack of sleep and excessive stress stemming from your daily lifestyle will worsen your immune system and in turn resulted in a negative effect on your health.
- Stay away from the cold atmosphere: During the days, the temperature can drop very low. Make sure to put on some more clothes to get away from the freezing weather.
- Apply the warm towel compress: Apply a warm towel compress regularly can help open nasal passages, so that it can help to clear the excess drainage and get rid of runny nose soon.
- Regularly massage your earlobes for at least 10 seconds.
- Always avoid caffeinated beverages such as sodas, coffees, sugar related drinks, etc.
- To avoid irritation, you can use unscented and soft tissues.
- Breathe in the Vicks vapor rub.
- Avoid smoking
- Inhaling powdered tyhme can provide relief from a runny nose.
- Elevate your head at least 10 inches while sleeping to help release the nasal discharge drain out of your body.
- Increase fluid intake such as drinking lots of water and clear broth of chicken to help thin down the mucus.
- The use of a humidifier can help add moisture to your air and makes the mucus thinner.
- Eat spicy foods such as ginger, cayenne peppers, chili, etc. which helps to flush out mucus, toxins and blockage from your body and also improves circulation.
- Stay away from nasal irritants.
That’s some home remedies and tips to help treat a runny nose fast. Hopefully with regularly follow one of the above home remedies can help get rid of a runny nose you soon. However, if the symptoms last for more than 10 days and you have a high fever, or nasal discharge is green and that is accompanied by fever or sinus pain, then immediately consult your doctor, as this may result in underlying health issue.